Current:Home > ContactAlgosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center-Stuck NASA astronauts welcome SpaceX capsule that’ll bring them home next year -Capitatum
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center-Stuck NASA astronauts welcome SpaceX capsule that’ll bring them home next year
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 17:02:12
CAPE CANAVERAL,Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center Fla. (AP) — The two astronauts stuck at the International Space Station since June welcomed their new ride home with Sunday’s arrival of a SpaceX capsule.
SpaceX launched the rescue mission on Saturday with a downsized crew of two astronauts and two empty seats reserved for Butch Wilmore and Suni Williams, who will return next year. The Dragon capsule docked in darkness high over Botswana as the two craft soared 260 miles (420 kilometers) above Earth.
NASA switched Wilmore and Williams to SpaceX following concerns over the safety of their Boeing Starliner capsule. It was the first Starliner test flight with a crew, and NASA decided the thruster failures and helium leaks that cropped up after liftoff were too serious and poorly understood to risk the test pilots’ return. So Starliner returned to Earth empty earlier this month.
The Dragon carrying NASA’s Nick Hague and the Russian Space Agency’s Alexander Gorbunov will remain at the space station until February, turning what should have been a weeklong trip for Wilmore and Williams into a mission lasting more than eight months.
Two NASA astronauts were pulled from the mission to make room for Wilmore and Williams on the return leg.
NASA likes to replace its station crews every six months or so. SpaceX has provided the taxi service since the company’s first astronaut flight in 2020. NASA also hired Boeing for ferry flights after the space shuttles were retired, but flawed software and other Starliner issues led to years of delays and more than $1 billion in repairs.
Starliner inspections are underway at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center, with post-flight reviews of data set to begin this week.
“We’re a long way from saying, ‘Hey, we’re writing off Boeing,’” NASA’s associate administrator Jim Free said at a pre-launch briefing.
The arrival of two fresh astronauts means the four who have been up there since March can now return to Earth in their own SpaceX capsule in just over a week. Their stay was extended a month because of the Starliner turmoil.
Although Saturday’s liftoff went well, SpaceX said the rocket’s spent upper stage ended up outside its targeted impact zone in the Pacific because of a bad engine firing. The company has halted all Falcon launches until it figures out what went wrong.
___
The Associated Press Health and Science Department receives support from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute’s Science and Educational Media Group. The AP is solely responsible for all content.
veryGood! (7552)
Related
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Parked semi-trucks pose a danger to drivers. Now, there's a push for change.
- RBD regresa después de un receso de 15 años con un mensaje: El pop no ha muerto
- Simone Biles finishes with four golds at 2023 Gymnastics World Championships
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- See states with the most student debt as Biden Administration moves in on new deal
- RBD regresa después de un receso de 15 años con un mensaje: El pop no ha muerto
- Dodgers on the ropes after Clayton Kershaw gets rocked in worst outing of his career
- Trump's 'stop
- Detroit Lions LB Alex Anzalone reveals his parents are trying to evacuate Israel amidst war
Ranking
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Jobs report shows payrolls grew by 336K jobs in September while unemployment held at 3.8%
- She survived being shot at point-blank range. Who wanted Nicki Lenway dead?
- Is Indigenous Peoples' Day a federal holiday? What to know about commemoration
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- FBI warns of rising elder fraud crime rates as scammers steal billions in savings each year
- Georgia officers say suspect tried to run over deputy before he was shot in arm and run off the road
- Georgia officers say suspect tried to run over deputy before he was shot in arm and run off the road
Recommendation
Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
Israel intensifies Gaza strikes and battles to repel Hamas, with over 1,100 dead in fighting so far
AJ Allmedinger wins at Charlotte; Kyle Busch, Bubba Wallace eliminated from NASCAR playoffs
Alec and Hilaria Baldwin Bring All 7 of Their Kids to Hamptons Film Festival
Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
The Asian Games wrap up, with China dominating the medal count
Gal Gadot supports Israel amid Palestinian conflict, Bruno Mars cancels Tel Aviv show
Americans reported $2.7 billion in losses from scams on social media, FTC says